The profession of teacher at a school in Germany is well recognized and highly respected. Depending on the experience and the level of teaching, the teacher in a German school can receive from 30 000 to 50 000 Euro gross per year, has private medical insurance, a large leave and the status of an employee who can’t be dismissed, because of being the governmental employee.

A feature of working as a te tacher in Germany is, that all teachers should know and teach at least 2 subjects, as a rule. The best option would be if the specialist studied 2 subjects at home, for example Biology and Chemistry, as well as the methods of teaching them or pedagogy, then he or she has very big chances of recognizing of the diploma in Germany, what opens the way to start to work as here.

Recognition of the pedagogical diploma is given to the federal lands, which have their own rules for recognizing the teacher's diploma. It’s also obviously, that the teacher should speak very good German, so the level of German language ownership should be at least C1.

In order to obtain a diploma of a teacher (Lehramt) German students must pass two exams - the first state exam (Erstes Staatsexam), and the second state examination after the end of the 18-24-month pre-diploma practice at the school (Referendariat).

Recognition of a foreign pedagogical diploma in Germany is equivalent to the passing of the first state exam, after which applicants have the opportunity to work in the school in a temporary position (Vertretungsstelle). In order to obtain a place for practice and passing afterwards the second state exam (Referendariat), the applicant must have German citizenship.

The options for recognizing a foreign diploma of a teacher, as well as the required level of knowledge of the German language (C1or C2) vary from the federal land to the federal land. Also, the recognition of a foreign diploma and the confirmation of the first state examination in one federal land does not mean automatic recognition in another, so the applicant must understand in what federal land he would like to work in the future, before sending its documents for recognition.

The standard diploma recognition procedure is the same for all German federal lands and consists of preparing, translating and notarizing such documents as: a diploma, a curriculum, from which could be seen what subjects, how much and for how long you studied at the university.

Then the applicant has the opportunity to send its documents at the federal level in a special department related to the Ministry of Education and Culture (Anabin's database, owned by Kultusministerkonferenz), responsible for the recognition of foreign diploma, including education.

Since the recognition of a diploma through Kultusministerkonferenz does not mean its automatic recognition in the federal lands, we advise you to recognize a diploma in the federal land where you want to work. The list of places for recognition at the level of the federal lands of Germany is here.)

Confirmation of a foreign diploma, and thus passing the first state exam (Staatsexam 1), gives the applicant the right to start looking for the work in German schools as a teacher under a temporary contract (Vertretungsstelle). Many schools are ready to recruit teachers who have only passed the first state exam for temporary positions (Vertretungsstelle), due to the shortage of teachers in such subjects as English, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology. Work as a teacher on a temporary contract gives the right to apply for a work visa to Germany.

Due to the fact that the profession of a teacher falls under the characterization of Mangelberufe - a profession in which Germany is experiencing a shortage of specialists, it is possible to employ a candidate for the position of a teacher within the Blue Card program. The team of “Working in Germany” provides the preparation and the employment in Germany of applicants for teaching specialities within the Blue Card program. The Blue Card program is a program for attracting highly qualified specialists to Germany. The requirements for obtaining the Blue Card are the availability of higher education, work experience in the specialty, as well as a confirmed annual income with a potential employer in the amount of 50 800 Euro gross (the amount is revised every year and is relevant for 2017). Also, the law on the Blue Card provides a lowered rate of annual income for professions, where Germany is currently experiencing so called “staff hunger” (Mangelberufe). This category consists graduates of universities, who studied natural sciences, mathematics, engineers, doctors (except dentists), specialists from the IT fields. The annual income for the applicants from this group should be at least 39 624 Euro gross.

If you have a pedagogical education in at least two subjects, as well as the level of knowledge of German at least C1, you can apply for help in recognizing the diploma for the purpose of further employment in the specialty in Germany here

Our services and prices you can find in the relevant section

In other cases, you can send us a question or leave a comment here